Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chicken & Pork Adobo


Browning in the broiler

My grandmother always said,  "Learn to cook the dishes you like to eat!"


One of my all-time favorite Filipino dish is Chicken & Pork Adobo.  The meat is braised in soy sauce, vinegar, chopped fresh garlic, black peppercorns & bay leaves.  Once the meat is tender, it is sauteed to a golden brown and simmered again in the braising liquid on low for a few minutes.  Serve with freshly cooked white rice and freshly cubed tomatoes, it is the perfect meal!

Simmering in the braising liquid


My version substitutes fresh garlic with the granulated variety so my fingers don't reek all day long.  Instead of sauteing the meat, I broil it to a golden brown.  This way I don't splatter oil all over the range top and on my arms.



Give it a try.  My girls love it!  I'm sure you'll like it, too!


Ingredients:
  • Cut up chicken & pork (I prefer belly for the fat layers!)
  • 1 c. soy sauce
  • 1 c. vinegar
  • 2 c. water
  • 1 tbsp. granulated garlic
  • 1 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. black peppercorns
  • 1 pc. bay leaf

No comments:

Post a Comment